I’ve finished the baby blanket. In short, log cabin in a self striper or space dyed yarn with the strips worked sequentially around a center is an idea worth additional exploration.
Because this yarn is largely cotton with a lot of acrylic in it and very unstretchy, I won’t be blocking the thing. I’ll probably give it a quick gentle wash and pat dry just on principal (better to give a baby a clean present). I’ll doodle with a top down simple hat today. There’s only about half a skein left. I might be able to eke out a matching stockinette newborn cap with a rolled brim, to make this a home-from-hospital set.
I don’t particularly like the Batika in general. It’s not as soft as I hoped. While it’s not scratchy, I thought the result would be spongy, but the nylon binder bunches the chainette up and gives the yarn a crunchy rather than pillowy surface feel. It also breaks surprisingly easily. It’s a good thing I used the join method I did because I found that the tapestry needle’s eye broke the end strands when I was darning in. If you are going to knit with Batika, take special pains to avoid leaving ends in the middle of rows, and use a VERY large eyed needle when ending off.
In case someone else wants to duplicate my working method and play with this idea, a description of how to work the strips using long-loop joins is here, and the directions for the simple triangle edging are here.