The Tiny One’s poncho continues apace. I only have had about an hour or so to knit each evening, and as you can see, I’m almost done. Dark blue is the last body stripe. The remaining plum is reserved for edging and mistake-fixing.
It does turn out that the neckline is way too wide. 100 stitches as cast-on would have worked for an adult, but for a tall Kindergartener (size 8), it’s too big. If I were to begin again, I’d probably go with 80 stitches, tops. Instead of ripping everything back and starting again, or unpicking the top and knitting in the opposite direction, I’m going to fudge it and in doing so produce a detail that (I hope) will look planned.
My goal is to preservethe currentrolledcollar as a welt detail,but fillin the loose-fitting neckline with a contrasting texture. Using plum, I’m going to pick up stitches in the purl bumps of the last row of thecurrent rolled collar, just before I switched from plum to the teal and began the body increases:
Using these stitches, I’ll work at least six rows of K1, P1 ribbing. Where the "corners" of the piece happen, I’ll use a double decrease, keeping the centermost stitch of the decrease on top: slip two together as if to knit, return both slipped stitches to left hand needle, k3 tog.
With luck, I’ll have just enough of the plum left over to do an I-cord edging. If not, I’ll rip back any completed I-cord and buy another skein. Even if the dye lots don’t match (which they probably won’t as I got the plum months ago), between the striping and the large visual distance between bits of the same color at neck and hem any differences will not be noticeable.
The moral of the story is – if you decide perfection isn’t a prime goal, make sure you have coping strategies on hand that turn any shortcomings into design features.